- From a path to recovery to eventual wellness, choose from a chiropractic range of services to get better today.
Colic is a condition in young infants characterized by an unusual amount of crying. An immature and irritated nervous system, food sensitivities and gastrointestinal upset can cause colic.
The birthing process is very stressful on the neck of a newborn; an outcome of this stress is several subluxations in the neck and back that can irritate the tiny and delicate nervous system of an infant. The misalignments could affect the functioning of major systems in the body can be compromised, e.g.: the digestive system could get affected leading to indigestion and discomfort in your baby. Gentle pressure on the neck and the back can work wonder for the baby. Subtle alignment of the spine can relieve the baby from the stress and help them to relax.
Chiropractors can also help by advising on dietary needs and therapeutic tips that will assist the infant to recover from colic episodes. E.g.: children should not be introduced to cow's milk until they are at least two or three years old as it contains the sugar lactose which they are not able to digest. The mother should avoid spicy food, alcohol, and tobacco. A semi-bland, high-protein diet that excludes dairy is probably best, at least during the first three or four months of breastfeeding.
If your baby suffers from colic, there are a few things that you can do to help:
- Seek regular chiropractic care, especially during the first four months
- Place a warm water bottle on your baby's stomach
- Rock your baby in a rocking chair or cradle
- Give your baby a warm bath
- Gently rub your baby's stomach
- Go for a drive with your baby in the car seat
- Feed your baby more often with less food at each feeding
- If you feed your baby formula, avoid soy or dairy-based formulas.